Supabase auto-generates an API directly from your database schema allowing you to connect to your database through a restful interface, directly from the browser.
The API is auto-generated from your database and is designed to get you building as fast as possible, without writing a single line of code.
You can use them directly from the browser (two-tier architecture), or as a complement to your own API server (three-tier architecture).
Supabase provides a RESTful API using PostgREST. This is a very thin API layer on top of Postgres.
It exposes everything you need from a CRUD API at the URL
The REST interface is automatically reflected from your database's schema and is:
- Instant and auto-generated.
As you update your database the changes are immediately accessible through your API.
- Self documenting.
Supabase generates documentation in the Dashboard which updates as you make database changes.
The API is configured to work with PostgreSQL's Row Level Security, provisioned behind an API gateway with key-auth enabled.
Our benchmarks for basic reads are more than 300% faster than Firebase. The API is a very thin layer on top of Postgres, which does most of the heavy lifting.
The API can serve thousands of simultaneous requests, and works well for Serverless workloads.
The reflected API is designed to retain as much of Postgres' capability as possible including:
- Basic CRUD operations (Create/Read/Update/Delete)
- Arbitrarily deep relationships among tables/views, functions that return table types can also nest related tables/views.
- Works with Postgres Views, Materialized Views and Foreign Tables
- Works with Postgres Functions
- User defined computed columns and computed relationships
- The Postgres security model - including Row Level Security, Roles, and Grants.
The REST API resolves all requests to a single SQL statement leading to fast response times and high throughput.
API URL and Keys#
You can find the API URL and Keys in the Dashboard.